Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sorry Whitney

Don’t get me wrong, it is very tragic that Whitney Houston is dead at such a young age, BUT……

I am not a crazy judgmental religious person that is speaking out against how we worship drug addicted, famous people, BUT……

She will be mourned by many, and having a televised funeral like the Royal Wedding is interesting, BUT……

Whitney had many adoring fans.  I am sure they feel close to her through her music and having it in their lives.  I read an article today that said fans were disappointed there were barriers near the church so they could not go in and grieve with the family.  WHAT?!.....

Maybe had that day started differently for me, I would feel differently about Whitney Houston’s death….

My son woke up that morning telling me his eyes were shining and one was still sleeping.  After discussing this with him for a few more seconds, I confirmed he was telling me he could not see out of one of his eyes.  Closing the working eye, I tested him with a magazine cover that has 2010 in huge font written across the front.  When I took only a few steps back, I asked him if he could see it.  “No”.  I know that eye issues can be a complication for diabetics, but I also know from his physicians that it is likely too early for this to start showing at age four.  Concerned was an understatement at that point.

I waited two hours for the Moorfields Eye Clinic to open in Dubai, which felt like forever, and got an appointment that morning right away.  When we arrived they showed us to a waiting area that had a television tuned in to CNN.  Of course all that was showing were clips of Whitney Houston and press standing outside her hotel.  I was surprised to hear of her death, but honestly, I did not care.  That morning I was not praying for Whitney.

My son saw three doctors and they ran all eye tests possible.  After a long morning, he was given a clean bill of health.  Everything was perfectly fine.  The doctor said it could have been the result of an infection brewing, or the result of an off, high blood sugar throughout the night.  But all tests were fine and his vision was good as well.  Relief was an understatement.  Since then he has been fine.  I am leaning toward the infection brewing theory as the cause because a few days later he had a bit of a red eye.

As we left the clinic, CNN was still on.  They were still talking about the tragedy of Whitney Houston’s death.  Yes, it is tragic, but really in the grand scheme of things in my life it is not that relevant.  I am sorry for her close friends and family.  I hope I never have to experience what they have been through and what they are going through now with her loss.  For them, I am truly sorry.  However, as far as the event’s affect on my life personally, I do not really know how to eloquently say I am not that interested.  I cannot care about it on the same scale that the media and entertainment industry wants us to.   For me, that day that started out badly turned into a great day.

No comments: