Monday, May 27, 2013

Meet Elliot


This is Elliot.  He is a giant made up of over 4,000 Coca-Cola crates.  He resides at Cape Town's waterfront.  I heard he moved there about the time of the World Cup in 2010.  His main goal in life is to draw attention to the need to recycle.

I always have mixed feelings about big exhibits like this.  Don't get me wrong - I am all for recycling, and love art made from recycled stuff.  We do it all the time at home.  I have one small room full of "junk" just waiting to become master pieces.

One of our latest pieces is an escalator made from cardboard box.  It was create something for show-n-tell that starts with the same letter as your name day.  Forget elephant, and all those other "e" words.  The escalator was the subject of choice.

At minimum, Coca-Cola did get attention.  If a huge red man permanently blocking the view of a beautiful landmark does not encourage you to recycle, then I am not sure what will.






No comments: